Angelfish (Pterophyllum scalare) is one of the most beautiful tropical freshwater aquarium fish. These fish belong to Cichlidae family. These fishes were originally brought from America and later became the popular aquarium fish all over the world. They have a pleasing personality and an extraordinary look, which makes their demand very high. This fish is highly demanded for sale in every pet shop. The angelfish grow up to a size of 6 inches in length. They like to feed on Mosquito larvae, brine shrimps, worms, earthworms, etc. These fishes have a life span of (10-15) years.
Angelfish Habitat :
These angelfish are found in the Amazon River in South America and like to live in groups as their flat body supports them to swim freely in groups. They often hide in the rushes when they feel any sign of danger. Apart from hiding, the angelfish even like to live in the rushes.
Angelfish Breeding :
The appearance of genital papillae makes sure that the spawning is about to occur. Before spawning takes place, the pair selects a spawning site and cleans it for two or three days. Then the spawning takes place and after few days the female lays eggs and the male fertilizes it like the many other species of fish. Then the eggs hatch. The newly hatched angelfish are recommended to be fed with varied diet, as it is best for their growth. The female angelfish lays about 1000 eggs. The newly hatched angelfish stay on plants for (4-5) days.
Angelfish Facts :
- They are also popularly known as "silver angel"
- The sexes of these species cannot be differentiated except at the time of breeding
Angelfish Diseases :
One has to be very careful when preserving these fish in the aquarium because several diseases may attack them. The most common angelfish diseases are Exophthalmia or Pop-Eye, Ichthyophthirius or Hunger strike.
Freshwater Angelfish :
The freshwater angelfish are the species of angelfish, which are found mainly in freshwater. It is usually found in the Amazon River. These are the best fishes that can be kept in an aquarium. The different varieties of freshwater angelfish are marble, gold marble, ghost, black laced, zebra, etc.
Angelfish for Sale :
The best time to make the angelfish available for sale is when they grow up to a size of (3-4) cm long. You can earn (20 to 30) $ per angelfish depending on their color and variation.
Angelfish Varieties :
- Veiltail Angelfish : Veiltail angelfish are found in different colors and have very elongated fins. These fishes have fins of different sizes. Some veiltail angelfish have such a long fin that the bend or get broken.
- Marble Angelfish : Marble angelfish is described as marble because they have a broken pattern of black and silver color, which looks like marble. These fish have golden undertones on the head and back while the fins have rays of black and white.
- Golden Angelfish : Golden angelfish may vary in color from pure silvery to golden. They do not have any other markings other than silver or golden.
- Blushing Angelfish : Blushing angelfish are spotted and have a red cheek area and it makes them look very beautiful in this color pattern.